On some good old fashioned Q+A

Long time no post. It's been a while, but I've been getting some questions about my experience and my life and I figured that I might as well answer them.


Question(s) of the day: What is life like? What are some things that you wished people knew about having cancer? How do you support someone with cancer?


I think right off of the bat I want to strike down a pretty common misconception (at least for leukemia). That is that the cancer isn't the only thing that makes me sick. In fact, the thing that makes me the sickest is the chemo. Chemotherapy is a double-edged sword. Its purpose is to kill the cancer cells and prevent them from coming back, which it does. But, it can't differentiate between cancer cells and healthy cells. This means that while the chemo does kill the cancer cells, it also kills some healthy ones, which makes me sick. And I still get chemo in remission, even though there aren't any more cancer cells. Why do I still need chemo? Because there is always a chance that I could relapse (this means that the cancer can come back). I'll still take chemo for two more years as a precaution. These chemo treatments are especially important because if they miss even one cancer cell, it would turn into a relapse. From there we go back to the drawing board in terms of protocols and treatments.

 

Another thing that I want people to know is that every single day is different. One day I could wake up feeling terrible physically and super grumpy, and the next day I could wake up feeling like I'm on top of the world. I don't really know what to chalk this up to. These constant mood swings can make it pretty hard when someone is asking how to help. To be honest, sometimes I don't know how people can help. But, there are things that always help me feel better. 


I want to give a shoutout to my friends. Whenever I'm down, they always seem to make me feel better. Every week we have at least one friend zoom, and it's always the thing I look forward to the most. We play games, talk, and mess around. But my favorite part of these meets is that for a while everything feels like it goes back to normal. Suddenly the cancer goes away. The worries, the extra supplies (like my NG tube), the pain. For just a little bit I can forget about what's going on and be a regular teenager again. It's easily the highlight of my week. 


Sometimes when I'm down I find that reaching out can be a lot to process. I'm not saying that it is a bad thing (trust me, sometimes all I need is encouragement and love from people). I'm just saying that sometimes when I don't feel good I just want to be alone. Something that you can do to help out is to learn a little more about what I'm going through, and understand that if you reach out and I don't respond, it just means that I don't have the energy right in that moment. Please don't stop reaching out though. 


I'm sorry that I haven't posted in a while. I will keep on trying to remember to post more regularly. Thank you for being a part of my journey, and if you have any questions feel free to comment.


-Adeline Jansson






Comments

  1. Adeline,

    Glad you have so many friends to surround you and support you! Thinking of you often and hoping and praying for your recovery. Keep on writing!

    Mrs. Morelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story with all of us Adeline. Your writing is beautiful.
    Mrs. Whitmire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Adeline for letting us be part of your journey. Raina and Dylan wish you well. You are the toughest girl I know and you are an inspiration to us all. Your writing is amazing. I hope writing is something you will pursue as a career because you have a talent for this. I look forward to your next post. We love you! ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adeline,
    Thank you so much for giving us some insight on what you are experiencing! You are amazing, strong, brave, and inspiring! I can't wait to read your next blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adeline, thank you for teaching us and keeping us posted with your blog. You are such a gifted writer and a gift to the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love reading your blogs. Sending love and hugs to you๐Ÿงก
    Dash

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Adeline, I work with your dad. This is a great post. Thanks for sharing your experience. It really helps to hear it from your voice. Before you got sick, your dad and I talked about books that you read. I would love to send you a book if you feel like reading. Sometimes when I don’t feel so great, even I don’t want to read. But, if you have a book that you would like, tell your dad to let me know. I’ll have it shipped to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always love reading and learning from you! Keep being wise beyond your years and kicking cancers butt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adeline, you have such a gift for writing. Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us. Keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adeline, you have such a gift for writing. Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us. Keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miss you!!! ⚽️๐Ÿ’• Just heard the funniest story at practice last week. I was talking about her you were always so wise beyond your years and they said yes that’s why you are Coach Adeline. And they said there was a practice coach TJ covered for me and he sent you off to the side line for talking while he was talking and you didn’t do it but you just did what he said and went over to the sideline and then when he brought you back on he said to you I know you didn’t do anything but I used you as an example I knew you would be go with it... hahahaha...Don’t know why I never heard that story and when they were telling the story I was like there’s no way it was Adeline talking because she was always shushing y’all for me! I love reading your blog! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adeline,

    Thank you so much for sharing about your experiences. You have a gift for writing! Our family follows your journey closely. Hugs from Boerne!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Adeline, Thanks for sharing your thoughts and explanations. Super good insight for us. The Vogele’s are cheering you on to kick cancers’s butt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adeline, I appreciate everything you shared here. It is difficult for us to understand what someone who is fighting cancer is going through, but we still want to help out. Knowing how you are feeling and what helps you and even knowing that you appreciate folks reaching out to you even when you don't feel up to reaching back lets us know how we can better support our friends and loved ones with cancer. Thank you for being open and sharing. I learn from you and your mom every day. I will continue praying for you and your family! ❤️๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another Dad friend here. Just wondering about your thoughts on HATS! When I fought my cancer battle, loads of folks gave me hats but I was/am very picky about headgear. Must be soft and warm (bald heads are freaking cold!) and then I really needed a unique style thing going on. I ended up wearing buffs or tube scarves a lot in the warmer days and a lovely purple beanie on the cold ones. I slept in mine, do you? let me know if you need a buff. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It has been the highlight of Nathan's weeks, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing your background and journey. You truly are inspiring so many people and your such a talented writer! From what I hear your a very talented soccer player, I play too. So you play for GSA Force huh, you guys have a great club, maybe we will play each other some day. Keep on fighting Adeline, we are all rooting for you!

    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Adeline! I’m doctor Spencer’s daughter. Thank you for sharing your story. I remember helping my mom find little gifts for you like the Office calendar and wearing my joining forces for Adeline shirt. You are a very talented writer. I have and am rooting for you every step of the way. Stay strong!

    Aubrey

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Adeline,
    I am first cousins once-removed with your Dad! What this means (I learned) is that your Grandpa Jansson is our first cousin. I just found this out recently; up until my sister told me, I didn't know there were Janssons in Texas, not that far from us! We are in Rosenberg, southwest of Houston.
    I have two sisters, and we are all rooting for you. I really like your blog and I think you have a talent for writing. Thank you for sharing your experiences with everyone! Keep the faith,

    Tina (Jansson) Michel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment