On introductions (and a lot of info)

Hi, my name is Adeline. I'm 13, and I live in central Texas. I am a percussionist and soccer player. I have 3 dogs, 2 parents, and 1 little brother. History is my favorite subject at school, and I have been known to argue politics with my friends (Biden 2020). If you ask my friends and family, I can be pretty talkative. But I'm not the best at introductions (or first impressions for that matter).


Oh yeah, and I have leukemia.

To be more specific, I have T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia with aberrant myeloid markers and monosomy 7. Yeah, it's a mouthful and INCREDIBLY rare. Currently I am almost halfway through my 2nd round of chemo, otherwise known as consolidation. The 1st round was induction, and our goal there was to fast track me to remission. After a bone marrow biopsy and a very sensitive test called MRD (minimal residual disease) the results showed that I still had 2% leukemic cells in my body, so we started consolidation. 

At the end of consolidation I will have another bone marrow biopsy and MRD and (hopefully) I should be cancer free! The problem with having a rare form of cancer is that it is more likely to have a relapse. This makes me a good candidate for a bone marrow transplant in the fall.

This all started because I complained of stomach pain. My parents didn't think it was anything serious, and we only went in to see a doctor after I spiked a fever. At first glance, it looked like I had appendicitis. Bloodwork showed otherwise.

2 months ago I never thought I would be where I am right now. I thought I would be at my summer camp, or visiting my cousins at their new house. Cancer seemed well out of the picture. But now this is my new reality. It sucks (believe me there are days when I wish all I had was appendicitis), but we can't change the past. We can change the future, and that starts with how we handle things in the present. 

"Keep looking up... That's the secret to life."
 -Charlie Brown

Comments

  1. You have no idea how AMAZING you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying that the next months will be much better than the past two and soon you can say, "cancer free!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adeline, you are amazing! You are incredibly strong, brave, and are handling this better than I ever could! I’m so proud of you, and you are an inspiration. Hang in there, kiddo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You inspire us Adeline!! We will be there to cheer you on. Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have word magic, Adeline. I love hearing your voice through your writing.
    Love, your biggest fan (Mrs. Buckley)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adeline, I work with your mom as a Digital Learning Coach. I have been following your story through your mom's Facebook and keeping you in my prayers. You are one inspiring young lady and now I see you are also an excellent writer! I look forward to following your story here in your own words. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for bravely sharing your story here! What an amazing writer you are and how brave you are in the middle of your battle. I'll be praying for your Adeline.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a way with words, keep up the positivity. Sending positive vibes and my love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your story with us! You are the strongest girl I know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adeline, you have a way with words that I hadn't discovered until now. I hope and pray that you will be cancer-free. Remember, Life is a journey, not a destination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are awesome!! Thank you for sharing your story with us! ♥️Mrs. Prater

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keep writing...you have a gift with words! Looking up with you in thought & prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so strong Adeline! Keep looking up and being your amazing self. Sending you prayers and strength!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WE LOVE YOU ADELINE! Prayers for your strength and healing, thank you for sharing your story with us so we can stay connected!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment