On containing COVID

If you don't already know, the world is going through the COVID-19 global pandemic. So, getting diagnosed with cancer at this point in time is just PERFECT timing, right? Of course, I'm being sarcastic. But, having cancer during COVID does have its positives (well, really only one). I had already been social distancing for 5 weeks leading up to the diagnosis. This means that thankfully I was not exposed to harmful bacteria and viruses while my body was beginning to battle the cancer cells. 

However, the negatives outweigh the positives. Even if COVID wasn't a thing, I would have strict restrictions because of my compromised immune system. For example, today my WBC count is 290 (normal is 4,800-10,800). But with such a dangerous illness being spread around the world, my restrictions are even stricter. This means I really can't go anywhere besides my house and the hospital. And with the way things are going right now, I may not be able to step inside a public building (that isn't the hospital) until the winter or even next year.

Even if I can't really do anything to help contain the spread (because I have no choice but to stay home), I can encourage y'all to do so. For starters, please wear a mask. The coronavirus is spread from respiratory droplets produced from sneezing, coughing, and talking. Wearing a mask prevents these droplets from spreading throughout the air, or from landing on your nose or mouth. 

Number 2: Please social distance and remain 6 ft apart from others. One of the reasons that the US is seeing a huge surge in cases is because some states accelerated their reopening processes, Texas being one of them. People have tossed caring to the wind, and have pranced freely into bars and restaurants, only to either contract COVID or spread it. You are more likely to contract COVID indoors than outdoors (due to wind). But that doesn't mean pool parties and outdoor barbecues are "safer" than going to a movie or a museum. You can still catch COVID from all of those.  

I know I can't force people to do these. People have their own opinions. But if you choose to not wear a mask or social distance, think of all of the lives you are putting at risk (including your own). Like my mom said on her blog, if you don't wear a mask for yourself, please wear one for me or another at-risk person. 

 

"Safety doesn't happen by accident."
-Unknown


Comments

Post a Comment